Rang De Basanti Dhaba – An ode to Punjabi Food!
Location & Intro:
This outlet of Rang De Basanti Dhaba is located inside PVR Diamond Plaza Mall. For those of who don’t know where this mall is and are coming from South Area, catch a metro and get down at Dum Dum Metro Station. Thereafter, catch another bus towards Nager Bazaar and then, catch a bus/auto towards Diamond Plaza Mall.
I had planned to cover these places for blogging as i often visit to the restaurant in my neighbourhood. Nonetheless, as the name says, Rang De Basanti Dhaba is a pure punjabi bliss. Being a punjabi myself, i was quite excited to visit this as the punjabi dhaba food never goes out of trend in the city of joy. No matter how much you try out the fancy restaurants, in the end, dhaba food is always a saviour because of the reasonable price and the piping and smoky hot food. The ambiance of the place is well decorated with funny quotes up the wall. I really like the way they have hung the cutleries up the wall and of course, not to forget, their signature tractor.
What i tried:
• I tried a lot of drinks here such as the soda shikanji, masala cola and more. However, my favorite here was the nimbu pudina sherbet as it acts as a detox and tastes better than the rest of the drinks. Also, its quite fizzy. The second number from the left in the picture is the one i am talking about.
• Chicken Lasooni Kebab – The kebab was lipsmacking tasty and piping hot. However, i expected the lasooni to be much more tender.
• Chicken Afghani Full – It was super tasty and creamy. I loved on this one. Be it the presentation as well as the taste, it was really relishing.
• Paneer Amritsari – The Paneer Amritsari was super tasty. It was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. This will surely be enjoyed by the vegetarians.
• Hara Bhara Kebab – The hara bhara kebab was just fine. It could be served smoky hot and could taste much better.
• Tawa Waali Macchi – If you are a fish person and even if you are not a fish person, this dish is a must try out here. The macchi was super soft, smoky hot and was melting in the mouth. It was really great to taste and i totally relished on this one.
• As i was full with the starters, i tried limited items for the main course. I started off with Kolkata Chicken Biriyani. The Biriyani prepared by them was just fine. However, the chicken needed some more marination for the masala to seep inside it properly.
• Thereafter, i tried jhalwali daal, bhatinde ke kofte, butter chicken and tandoori roti. The jhalwali daal needs a special mention. It was having the flavour of green chilly along with the tadka added to it. The bhatinde ke kofte were not as sweet as usual malai koftas are. This is what made me enjoy it even more. The butter chicken as usual is great here. If you are dropping by here and want to try dilli style butter chicken, look no where else than Rang De Basanti Dhaba. The roti was just fine.
• Shahi Tukda, Firni and Gulab Jamun with Ice Cream – I tried these three desserts out here. The shahi tukda was a win win and so was piping hot gulab jamun with ice cream. The firni was just average.
Price for two: 450-900 (Prices are subject to change due to macroeconomic factors such as inflation, etc.)
• Ambiance is nice.
• Decent hospitality.
• Hot and Reasonably priced food.
• Work on the presentation a bit more.
I had a good time here. Hope to come back soon again and wish them all the very best for their future endeavours in the food industry.
Disclaimer: I was invited by the management of Rang de Basanti Dhaba for trying out their new menu launch and the views expressed herein are solely my own.