Chowman – One of the best Chinese Restaurants to dine in!
Location & Intro:
Yes, times have changed. Previously, when Indo-Chinese food struck our head, we used to be like let’s go Barbq park street as it was one of the most reputed (still is) restaurant when it comes to Chinese Food. With time, things have deteriorated there. However, city of joy is flourishing with so many chinese eateries and even the small ones are doing wonders. Chowman happen to be a big name now when we talk about Chinese Food. I got an invite from Luna Di who herself is a food enthusiast to come and try out the food at Chowman Ballygunge. It is located near 6 ballygunge place. If you’re coming from golpark, take the bridge that leads towards Ballygunge Farhi , there will be a signal where you can take a right towards south point (take that lane), and keep going straight you will see fish fish restaurant and the lane right opposite to fish fish leads to your destination. We were a group of 6-10 bloggers who had come here to try the varieties which Chowman wanted to offer us.
As you enter, there is a Buddha Statue which is quite good to look at. I would suggest instead of sitting in the main hall take a left, you will see a perfectly carved buddha on the wall which is quite a piece of art. The ambiance of the restaurant is great and a little dimly lit. Nevertheless, we all took our seat after glancing a little bit at the ambiance and gossiping about food among ourselves. We were served a fixed menu which was being recently introduced by the restaurant to try it and give our opinions on the food. (P.S. I am a buddha lover)
What we tried:
One after the other with no delay, Chowman beautifully presented us with their wonderful dishes. There were a lot of Crab and Sea food dishes but i particularly like sticking to Chicken, Mutton and Fish. Hence, i tried:
Beverages, Soups and Starters:
○ Fresh Lime Soda (Sweet) – It had a cherry inside it. The soda was fizzy and tasted great. It was not excessively sweet.
○ Shredded Lamb Soup with Celery and Mushroom – I really liked it. However, few lamb chunks were quite chewy and hard. The flavour was good though.
○ Lemon Coriander Chicken Soup – As i did not try the Crab Meat Soup, i was arranged with this one. Lemon Coriander Soup with small chicken chunks inside it were great! I mean i totally relished on this one. The soup was flavourful and one could get that tangy lemon touch to the soup which gave me a lipsmacking experience.
○ Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce – What a lovely Satay they prepare. The Chicken Satay was perfectly having the flavour of lemon grass and coconut milk and was accompanied by the peanut sauce which always compliments the whole dish. The chicken was quite succulent and flavorful. Totally loved it. Presentation was excellent too.
○ Sesame Prawn Balls – It was beautifully presented. I am not an ardent lover of Prawn but this!! It was crunchy and juicy. Loved it.
○ Lemon Grass Egg Chicken Fried Rice – The Fried Rice was lovely. It was perfectly boiled. The lemon grass was giving it’s flavour and loved it.
○ Butter Garlic Fish – The fish served to us was Basa. The gravy was subtle and the dish tasted excellent. Would love to try it again.
○ Stir Fried Lamb with Diced Chillies and Cashew Nuts – It was spicy. People who love spicy food can go for ordering on this one.
○ Sizzling Brownie with Hot Chocolate Sauce – I loved it. However, they could have presented it with Vanilla on top which would be easier for us to cut the vanilla as well as the brownie. Nevertheless, it was presented with a piece of wafer too. The brownie was hot and Vanilla-Brownie is always a great combination.
○ Great ambiance.
○ Good food quality and presentation.
○ Serving time for food was fast and it was lipsmacking hot.
○ Courteous Staffs.
○ Spacious and can accommodate large groups.
○ Great hospitality.
○ Chowman goes for innovation with Food. It’s not like you are tasting the same old dish again and again.
Special Thanks to:
○ Luna Di (Madly Food Lover) for inviting me over to the bloggers meet.
○ Ena and Poulomi who really extended their great hospitality towards all of us and helped us with our food. Thank you for chicken dishes.
○ Team of Chowman which includes all their Chef’s and Staffs who speedily served us beautifully presented hot food.
Meal for two: 650-1500 approximate
(Prices are subject to change due to macroeconomic factors such as inflation, etc.)
I really enjoyed a lot and it was one great event i was looking forward to. The service was fast and the food quality, presentation, taste, and quantity was great. One cannot really complain about it. The price factor crops up a bit but for a fine dining and posh area locality, it is perfectly set. There were other items which were served as well for which i am attaching the delicious lipsmacking pictures.
Disclaimer: I was invited to Chowman by the management of Chowman and the views expressed herein are solely my own.